I saw this in a bulletin and thought I’d pass it along… How to Terminate Your Social Security Number Interesting call to the Social...

I saw this in a bulletin and thought I’d pass it along…

How to Terminate Your Social Security Number

Interesting call to the Social Security Administration

So I’ve been contemplating turning in my social security number, in order to stop being a Federal United States employee, so I called the SSA today just to see what they would say.

SSA: Hello this is Dorothy, how may I help you?

ME: Hello Dorothy, I recently learned that Social Security is a voluntary insurance program, and that I may terminate my SS number at any time and get out of it, my question is, do I get all of my money back that I payed in when I turn in my number?

SSA: (pissy) No

ME: So I’d probably have to file suit for that?

SSA: Probably

ME: one more question, is there a SSA form that I fill out to cancel my number?

SSA: hold on let me check…

(2 minutes)

SSA: sir?

ME: Im here

SSA: we dont have a form for that, you would have to send in a letter and your card.
(much nicer attitude for some reason)

ME: O.K., I was surprised to find out it was voluntary, I always thought it was mandatory to have a number.

SSA: Are you in the United States

ME: do you mean in the United States as defined as the District of Columbia, or do you just mean one of the states?

SSA: one of the states (no hesitation or surprise in her voice)

ME: oh, one of the states

SSA: yeah it actually is mandatory to have one if your not paying into another pension program to the federal or state government.

ME: Oh, you mean if Im a state or Federal Employee?

SSA: Yes

ME: Oh, ok, yeah, I’m not a State or Federal employee, ok, thanks for your time.


For anyone else interested in doing so, tthe SSA can be reached at 1-800-772-1213.

Edward, ID Number DELTED, my SSA customer service rep looked into the termination section of their manual to verify the procedure for terminating my social security number.

He gave me the office address and number of my local office and told me to send it in with a letter describing the fact that I wish to terminate my number as it is voluntary.

He asked why I wish to terminate my number and I stated that I wished to stop contibuting to the program voluntarily.

“Well,” he said, “You can just tell your employer to stop withholding the money from your paycheck. That way you can still get the benefits that you have paid into so far.”

I explained to him that I tried to do so with my employer, but my employer believes that he is required to continue withholdings.

He then went on to say that if I did terminate my social security number through the process he described that I would receive a letter stating that I have terminated the number and withholdings can terminate as well.

Brilliant!!!! Absolutely brilliant.

More Links

[link to famguardian.org]

Payroll Withholding Form-Short Form Instructions…

[link to www.sedm.org]

How to Open a Bank Account with NO SSN

I did a google search, and came across this MOST USEFUL INFORMATION regarding banking with NO SSN! The only way this has ANY MEANING WHATSOEVER, IS IF WE GET OUT THERE AND USE THIS INFORMATION FOLKS! And be sure to fill us in on how it’s working out there on the front lines! I am going to try this as soon as possible!

Opening a Bank Account Without a SSN Compliments of
Craig Burkholder, Harrisonburg, VA

Hi, Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know about a recent small victory in the no-SSN corner.

I recently tried to open a bank account with my local bank , and when they asked for a SSN, I informed them that I didn’t have one. They flatly refused and said that without a SSN that they absolutely could NOT open an account of any kind. I then proceeded thus to convince them that they were in the wrong: 1) I informed them that I had terminated my SSN legally in accordance with 20 CFR 3 A7 404.1905 and 2) I informed them that the bank could not be held legally responsible by anyone for failing to obtain a SSN from me pursuant to 31 CFR 103.34(a)(1) and 3) I informed them that under the Internal Revenue Code Section 6041, that they were not even required to provide any taxpayer identification numbers on the Form 1099 that they file with the IRS at the end of the year, and 4) I informed them that pursuant to 26 CFR 301.6109-1(c) that they were under no legal obligation to obtain a SSN from me, and 5) I informed them that 42 USC 408 makes it a FELONY to use threat, duress, or coercion to try to force a person by fear or deceit to provide his SSN in an unlawful manner. After a brief meeting with the banks controller and legal counsel, I received a phone call stating that I would be allowed to open a checking account. Please pass this information along to your readers, in hopes that it may help someone else who may find themselves in this situation.

Some questions that arise:

What happens to that other voluntary program that uses your SSN? You know income taxes…

And what happens to your old SSN that people already have; like your employer or bank? What happens when they file IRS related items with that number?

Since the SSN is what is used to collect income taxes, how could the Feds track and collect taxes without it?

  • Icey

    November 17, 2015 #1 Author

    This doesn’t work. They told me to contact the irs for the law and they won’t respond our give proof that it is mandatory. They just hang up.


  • N/a

    March 11, 2017 #2 Author

    I , understand that termination or withdrawal of a W-4,
    Employee’s Withholding Certificate, releases the employer from any obligation to make payroll withholdings. Furthermore, I understand that I am responsible for all taxes due and I release the employer from any tax liability associated with this employee.

    Voluntary Withholding Agreements—26 C.F.R. §31.3402(p)-1

    Sec. 31.3402(p)-1 Voluntary withholding agreements.

    (a) In general. An employee and his employer may enter into an agreement under section 3402(b) to provide for the withholding of income tax upon payments of amounts described in paragraph (b)(1) of Sec. 31.3401(a)-3, made after December 31, 1970.

    (b) Form and duration of agreement. (1)(I) Except as provided in subdivision (ii) of this subparagraph, an employee who desires to enter into an agreement under section 3402(p) shall furnish his employer with Form W-4 (withholding exemption certificate) executed in accordance with the provisions of section 3402(f) and the regulations thereunder. The furnishing of such Form W-4 shall constitute a request for withholding.

    (c) A statement that the employee desires withholding of Federal income tax, and applicable, of qualified State individual income tax (see paragraph (d)(3)(I) of Sec. 301.6361-1 of this chapter (Regulations on Procedures and Administration)), and

    (d) If the employee desires that the agreement terminate on a specific date, the date of termination of the agreement. If accepted by the employer as provided in subdivision (iii) of this subparagraph, the request shall be attached to, and constitute part of, the employee’s Form W-4. An employee who furnishes his employer a request for withholding under this subdivision shall also furnish such employer with Form W-4 if such employee does not already have a Form W-4 in effect with such employer. (iii) No request for withholding under section 3402(p) shall be effective as an agreement between an employer and an employee until the employer accepts the request by commencing to withhold from the amounts with respect to which the request was made. (2) An agreement under section 3402 (p) shall be effective for such period as the employer and employee mutually agree upon. However, either the employer or the employee may terminate the agreement prior to the end of such period by furnishing a signed written notice to the other. Unless the employer and employee agree to an earlier termination date, the notice shall be effective with respect to the first payment of an amount in respect of which the agreement is in effect which is made on or after the first “status determination date” (January 1, May 1, July 1, and October 1 of each year) that occurs at least 30 days after the date on which the notice is furnished. If the employee executes a new Form W-4, the request upon

    which an agreement under section 3402 (p) is based shall be attached to, and constitute a part of, such new Form W-4.


    I do hereby certify I am a natural born man or woman. I inhabit upon the land in one of the states in this union, de jure government. I am not a citizen of the corporate municipal legislative democracy of Washington D.C., or any federal territory or federal enclave within any of the states of this union. I do not have income from any source within the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or any other Territory or enclave under the sovereignty within the [federal] United States, with its origin and jurisdiction from Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17 of the U.S. Constitution and 26 CFR 1.911-2(g).

    WORKER’S ATTESTATION : No law compels a private sector Entity to provide any specific government documents in order for me to work in America. An Entity may make a request for information and needs only to sign an affidavit stating the request has been made. No federal or state statute authorizes any private sector Entity or its tax professionals to determine whether or not the worker is subject to any revenue tax. The signing of Form W-4 (or its equivalent) and the supplying of social security numbers provide prima facie evidence, whether factually true or not, the worker is a “taxpayer” as that term is defined in the IRC. Such numbers and forms were obtained under conditions of mistake of fact, mistake of law, misrepresentation, fraud, constructive fraud, duress, and/or coercion. I hereby terminate, reject, waive and sever all benefits or privileges derived from such forms or authorizations . You are to remove and cease using any social security number or “taxpayer” identification number from any and all records in your possession. I certify I am not receiving government benefits or privileges.

    CLAIMING TO BE A PERSON NOT SUBJECT TO WITHHOLDING: The Internal Revenue Code is private law that applies to federal agencies and their sub-divisions. I am not a federal subject, employee, citizen or resident. I do not consent to have amounts withheld or deducted for state and/or federal taxes, fees, and other charges. I do not elect to enter into a voluntary withholding agreement with this non-federal private sector Entity. I am not required by statute to submit Form W-4 (or its equivalent). The private sector Entity cannot lawfully compel me to sign any government form as a condition of being hired or to maintain my labor/services. My private sector earnings are sourced without the United States and therefore not the subject matter of a exclusive territorial law of the United States (Congress) because I am not the object of the federal income tax law [31. 3124(b)].


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *