Whonix is an anonymous general purpose operating system based on Virtual Box, Ubuntu GNU/Linux and Tor. By Whonix design, IP and DNS leaks are impossible. Not even malware with root rights can find out the user’s real IP/location.
Whonix consists of two machines, which are connected through an isolated network. One machine acts as the client or Whonix-Workstation, the other as a proxy or Whonix-Gateway, which will route all of the Whonix-Workstation’s traffic through Tor. This setup can be implemented either through virtualization and/or Physical Isolation.
- All applications, including those, which do not support proxy settings, will automatically be routed through Tor.
- Installation of any software package possible.
- Safe hosting of Hidden services possible.
- Protection against side channel attacks, no IP or DNS leaks possible^3^ To test for leaks, see LeakTests.
- Advantage over Live CD’s: Tor’s data directory is still available after reboot, due to persistent storage. Tor requires persistent storage to save it’s Entry Guards.
- Whonix does even protect against root exploits (Malware with root rights) on the Workstation.
- Uses only Free Software.
- Building Whonix from source is easy.
- Tor+Vidalia and Tor Browser are not running inside the same machine. That means that for example an exploit in the browser can’t affect the integrity of the Tor process.
- It is possible to use Whonix setup in conjunction with VPNs, ssh and other proxies. But see Tor plus VPN/proxies Warning. Everything possible, as first chain or last chain, or both.
- Loads of Optional Configurations (additional features / Add-Ons) available.
- Best possible Protocol-Leak-Protection and Fingerprinting-Protection.